Friday 16 July 2010

Book Review: Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher

You can't stop the future
You can't rewind the past
The only way to learn the secret... is to press play

Clay Jensen returns home to find a strange package with his name on it. Inside he discovers several cassette tapes recorded by Hannah Baker- his classmates and first love- who commited suicide two weeks earlier.
Hannah's voice explains there are thirteen reason's why she killed herself. Clay is one of them. If he listens, he'll find out why.
All through the night, Clay keeps listening - and what he discovers changes his life...
Forever


---------------------------------------------------


Title:Thirteen Reasons Why
Author: Jay Asher
Release Date: Ocotber 18th 2007
Publisher: (Uk) Penguin
Price (English Pounds):
Genre: Young Adult Fiction
No. Pages:288


'Hello boys ang girls. Hannah Baker here. Live and in stereo. No return engagments. No encore. And this time absoultly no requests.
I hope you're ready, because I'm about to tell you the story of my life. More specifically, why my life ended. And if you're listening to these tapes, you're one of the reasons why.'

Clay returns home one day and finds a mysterious package waiting for him. When he opens the package he finds 7 tapes, all holding the reasons why the girl he once fancied, Hannah Baker killed herself two weeks earlier.Clay begins to listen to the tapes, in an attempt to find out why he is to blame and Hannah tells her heartrendering story.

This was Jay Asher's first book and was published in Oct 2007. It was first going to be called Baker's Dozen: The AudioBiography of Hannah Baker.The book is told by both Clay and Hannah, in my opnion making the story so much better, as we also hear Hannah's story in her words and Clay's feelings.
The story was beautifully written, and the use of the two narrators could not possibly of been done in a better way. The storyline is orginal and unique, i have never came across a book which is anything like this one.
But for me the only downside to the book was some of the reasons to why she killed herself, i saw them as pathetic and just petty reasons, but them other reasons I could understand why.

I give this book



3 comments:

  1. this book confused my brain - I couldn't get around the double narrative

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this one. I want to go and buy myself the hardcover, but they never stock hardcovers at my bookstore, it seems. :\ I read this along to the audiobook, which added that whole spark of life to it, and I could hear the intense and powerful tacks of emotion and raw energy and anger. It is contemporary YA at its core, hitting hard issues where it hurts the most. While I may agree that the reasons aren't exactly Grade A, it was definitely very interesting and a poignant, compelling read. I can't remember what I rated this one, maybe a 4?

    ReplyDelete
  3. SeriLuvsReading22Sunday, November 27, 2011

    I loved this book and I would not change anything about it :) Thank you for creating a wonderful book Jay Asher =]

    ReplyDelete