Tuesday 28 June 2011

Book Review: Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

Title: The Hunger Games
Series: The Hunger Games #1
Author: Suzanne Collins
Publisher: Scholastic
Publication Date: 14th September 2008
Pages: 454
Special Features:
ISBN: 9781407109084
Goodreads Average Rating: 4.54
'Winning will make you famous.
Losing means certain death.
In a dark vision of the near future, a terrifying reality TV show is taking place. Twelve boys and twelve girls are forced to appear in a live event called the Hunger Games. There is only one rule: kill or be killed.
When sixteen-year-old Katniss Everdeen steps forward to take her sister's place in the games, she sees it as a death sentence. But Katniss has been close to death before. For her, survival is second nature.'
For me the Hunger Games was a book I had no intrest in, the storyline seemed quite disturbing and in no way appealing to me, this was also then supported by the cover, which also had no appeal to me. But how could someone possibly ignore a book so popular, a book so many people will declare as there favorite.

The action starts almost straight away, and runs straight through until the very last page, keeping me hooked and constantly turning the page. This book for me was a re-read, and still I managed to find myself entangled in the twists and turns in the novel, the deep emotion which is presented in the writing, and well the spectacular and original characters.

The story shows signs of unique-ness and it is known that the idea for Hunger Games, came to author Suzanne Collins whilst flicking through the scenes of an army or war film and a reality TV show, which despite the book is set in the future, still has a form of meaning to the world as it is today.

For me, not many books would beat Hunger Games, it's a book which shows a possible future whilst presenting what could be seen as controversial issues, my favorite kind of books.

The characters... well WOW!!!
There is many characters which are introduced to us within the book, each being different from the rest, but the same standards of believability.... except one:
Primrose Everdeen, or Prim, younger sister of protagonist: Katniss, is 12 during the book, but is portrayed to act like a 6 year old, this was the only one thing which managed to annoy me during the novel.

And before I end this review all I can say is... TEAM GALE!!!!

I give this book...


No comments:

Post a Comment