Wednesday 6 July 2011

Book Review: Starcrossed by Josephine Angelini

StarcrossedTitle: Starcrossed
Series: Starcrosses #1
Author: Josephine Angelini
Publisher: Macmillian's Children's Book
Publication Date: 5th April 2011
Pages: 514
Special Features:  N/A
ISBN: 9780330529730
Goodreads Average Rating: 4.17
Set on the island of Nantucket, STARCROSSED tells the tale of Helen Hamilton, a young woman whose destiny is forever altered when she meets Lucas Delos and tries to kill him in front of her entire high school. Which is terribly inconvenient, not only because Lucas is the most beautiful boy on the island, but also because Helen is so achingly shy she suffers physical pain whenever she is given too much attention.

Making matters worse, Helen is beginning to suspect she’s going crazy. Whenever she’s near Lucas or any member of his family she sees the ghostly apparitions of three women weeping bloody tears, and suffers the burden of an intense and irrational hate. She soon learns that she and Lucas are destined to play the leading roles in a Greek tragedy that the Three Fates insist on repeating over and over again throughout history. Like her namesake, Helen of Troy, she’s destined to start a war by falling in love. But even though Lucas and Helen can see their own star-crossed destiny, they’re still powerfully attracted to each other. Will they give up their personal happiness for the greater good, or risk it all to be together?
Starcrossed, a book which has recently been quite popular in the YA world, is a MUST-READ!!
It is such an addicting and enticing read, great writing style, story line and characters.

Recently I have shown quite an interest in Greek Mythology and didn't even think twice about picking this book up. But was kind of surprised and slightly dis-appointed by what I read. There is part of the story which I would class as cliche, for a YA book, for starters main character Helen, has two best friends: one a female who is well her best friend, another a male who is in love with her. Also whilst reading the book I saw a slight resemblance of Twilight, in many ways and you can tell there is a possibility it may of accidentally influenced the story-line. But I will just have to say that this book still has its own individuality.

As I have said the storyline is pretty amazing, this is something I will stick to, I really did enjoy it. The book was full of twists and turns, but the occasion individuality. Also you can see the author's love for her writing in many one's. One way being the obsessive research she has appeared to of done, to make the book perfect and to make sure she got her Greek Mythology right.
This is what made me really like this book, the meaning and the love not just within the book, but also in the background.

I will admit I didn't pay that much attention to the character's, there was nothing which stood out to me, they are almost the normal character's within YA books, but also showed a unique aspect.
I do wish I as a reading was able to witness more of a development in Lucas and Helen's love, as I believe it just more of suddenly happens.

I will recommend this book to anyone, there is something for everyone.

I give this book....

2 comments:

  1. Didn't you just love the mythology in Starcrossed? I thought everything was so well thought out. Love Josephine Angelini!

    Cannot wait for Dreamless!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is one of my favorite new books of the year! I absolutely love all the characters - Scions and humans both. Claire is adorable as the best friend, and I look forward to seeing her get closer to the Delos. Helen and Lucas are so great together, and the ending about killed me.

    ReplyDelete