Monday 3 October 2011

Review: The Gathering by Kelley Armstrong

The Gathering (Darkness Rising Trilogy, #1)
Title: The Gathering
Series: Darkness Rising Trilogy
Author:Kelley Armstrong
Pages: 359 
Special Features: 1st Chapter of The Summoning
Goodreads Average Rating: 4.04
Strange things are happening in Maya's tiny Vancouver Island town. First, her friend Serena, the captain of the swim team, drowns mysteriously in the middle of a calm lake. Then, one year later, mountain lions are spotted rather frequently around Maya's home—and her reactions to them are somewhat . . . unexpected. Her best friend, Daniel, has also been experiencing unexplainable premonitions about certain people and situations.
It doesn't help that the new bad boy in town, Rafe, has a dangerous secret, and he's interested in one special part of Maya's anatomy—her paw-print birthmark.
This book was a great and gripping read, though filled with a number of flaws.


This was my first Kelley Armstrong book, and I just knew that I was going to love her books, and this one I really did love.

The main reason I finally got round to reading it, was because my sister really loved it, so I thought it was well worth a try, and man was I pleased.

For me the environment of the book was what made it just what it was. A small town surrounded by woods, by far my favourite surrounding, though when I say small I don't mean Twilight's Forks small, I mean 200ish resident's small. At first this number shocked me, and I was almost at the point of refusing to carry on, to me it was ridiculous though it makes the book was it is.
We get some real knowledge and description of the town, introduced to the different area's and know a number of the residents.
The story line has aspects of cliche in many ways. I will admit this did actually kind of put me off the book, but I forced myself to overlook it, and instead see the unique aspects put into this book surrounding the over-used YA cliches: mysterious boy, small town, jealous girl etc....
The whole idea of the supernatural creatures surrounding this story, was what made it gripping and enjoyable for me. I knew what was going to happen, though still the book kept me drawn in.
The chapter length is something I just have to mention. I love the length of the chapter's, there's quite a mixture, some short, some long, though not too short, nor too long, kind of just right. Perfect for someone like me who had very limited times in the day for reading.
Which leads me onto how each part of this book is exciting and holds a certain significance, though many plot lines were left un-solved by the end of this book, only making me far more excited for the second in the series The Calling.

Onto the character's.
The character's were probably one of the worst set I have ever came across. I felt this need to either yell or slap each one, though minsing a few.
Let's start with main character, Maya. I felt like I had a bit of a love hate relationship. She had her good moment's where she was like my favourite character, though these would soon be over-shadowed by this self-centred girl she suddenly becomes, at certain moment's of the book. But for me this only added to the book, it made the storyline more interesting though sometimes annoying.
Daniel was a character I just couldn't stand.At the beginning of the book he seemed normal, then I found out he was like the wrestling star my imagination suddenly changed him into a Justin Bieber on steroids look-a-like, which is seriously not a good thing. He is too over-protect of Maya and a character who was just so annoying!
The only two character's I managed to like was Rafe and his sister Annie. They are character's who are created to cause the reader to sympathise for them, and that is what I did.

Anyway this review was quite hard to write, I became very distracted from the attractive aspects of the book, despite, as I pointed out numerous flaws.
I give this book...

No comments:

Post a Comment