Thursday 14 April 2011

Book Discussion: Book to Film

Recently there has been alot going on in the world of book to film, where most recently seen books such as Pittacus Lore's I Am Number Four and Alex Flynn's Beastly be turned into quite successful films. Also we've also witnessed planning for Suzanne Collins Hunger Games and Cassandra Clare's Mortal Instruments series books to be made into films
So I thought I would voice some of my opinions for books to films:

Harry Potter by J.K Rowling
Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (Harry Potter, #1)
The Harry Potter series is one of the best book to films ever. In fact the movies are so good I actually prefer them over the books, and that's rare I will say that.
I've grown up with the Harry Potter films, the first film: Philosopher's Stone/ Sorcerer's Stone was released in 2001, when I was only 6 and now it is slowly coming to an end when I'm 15, so its hard not to love a series that has had so much effect on my life.
One of the things I love most is that it's an English book and English film, with English actors. I believe that got every aspect of the film right.

Twilight (Twilight, #1)



Twilight by Stephenie Meyer
The Twilight series, obviously is a must-have on this list. I am a great fan of the Twilight books, but not so much the film series. I really enjoyed the first Twilight film and I believe it's all down to Catherine Hardwick for being such a dedicated director. There is just something about the first film that makes it seem to mysterious and lovable where the others lack.


The Chronicles of Narnia (#1-7)
The Chronicles of Narnia by C.S Lewis
The Chronicles of Narnia is a book and a story that most of us grew up with and it is quite sentimental in a way, despite I only had ever been told the first story: The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe. I had never really been interested in the first two films (I am yet to see the third) until this Christmas when they seemed to be constantly repeating and I finally found my love towards the film, especially the second film: Prince Caspian, I actually miss randomly having the films on the TV all the time.
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

The Charlie and the Chocolate Factory by Roald Dahl
As a young girl, I was a massive fan of Roald Dahl's writing, he was one of those author's who had an imagination of a child and could entertainment any generation with his creative writing.
I like both the original and the Tim Burton Charlie and the Chocolate Factory films, but I have this weird phobia of the Oompa Loompa's, they literally scare me to death.


My Sister's Keeper
 My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult
But all in all the film is a great version of the book and is a defiantly family favorite.My Sister's Keeper is probably my favourite book to film adaptation. I thought the book was fantastic and emotional, and the film kept to the same theme, as soon the film started I found myself in tears, from beginning to the end.




I Am Number Four by Pittacus Lore
I enjoyed I Am Number Four so much, the storyline was unique and fun, writing poor at some places. The film in the nicest way possible was absolute rubbish, I read the book before seeing the film luckily, my friend who hadn't read the book walked out extremely confused. It was almost like someone had summed up the film in 20words and they made a film about what was said. It missed out some of the most significant parts. It was the worst book to film, film I've seen.

No comments:

Post a Comment