Thursday 17 March 2011

Book Review: Crash Into Me by Albert Borris

Title: Crash Into Me
Series: N/A
Author: Albert Borris
Publisher: Simon Pulse
Publication Date: 6 th July 2010
Pages: 272
Special Features:
ISBN:978-1416998273

'Owen, Frank, Audrey, and Jin-Ae have one thing in common: they all want to die. When they meet online after each attempts suicide and fails, the four teens make a deadly pact: they will escape together on a summer road trip to visit the sites of celebrity suicides...and at their final destination, they will all end their lives. As they drive cross-country, bonding over their dark impulses, sharing their deepest secrets and desires, living it up, hooking up, and becoming true friends, each must decide whether life is worth living--or if there's no turning back.'



The Book At First Glance
I have never had a real first glance at Crash Into Me, seeing as far as I know it has been published in England. A friend lent me this book, believing I would enjoy it, as I have been looking for books with the theme of suicide for a while now.
The cover would definately draw me in though, along with the title. From the guy and girl on the cover I get the almost instant impression of a love story. But the title 'Crash Into Me' gives me the instant thought of car crash or something along the lines.

My Thoughts
Crash Into Me was an ok book, I believe there is nothing particulary special about it, except another unique storyline. It doesn't in anyway stand  out to me, and only now a few weeks later have I thought of the book again after being reminded by a friend to  post a review.

What annoyed me the most about this book is the no chapters. Chapters for me is a guideline of where to stop, even though there was obvious stop points, it annoyed me to hell and back.
Another thing that I didn't like about ths book is how lightly the theme of suicide was put across. Suicide for me is an issue that effects me, knowing people who have before wanted to commit suicide or tried to self-harm there is nothing worse than reading a book you don't agree with. I believe only a few authors will be able to fully get away with putting the story right, most of those authors will also be people who have seen someone live like this. Throughout the whole of the book there was something about it that annoyed me, did they have proper reasons for these attempts... in my opnion no, and I believe the story could of been made better by having better storylines for each character.
On the otherhand the author I will give the author credit for potentially preventing some people from commiting suicide. He puts throughout the story signs to the reader saying there is much more to live for than what you may believe, I believe this could of helped at least one person from a hard time.

A thing I enjoyed about this book was the facts, the book is fully of information about famous people of the past who have commited suicide, some like Marilyn Monroe I didn't actually know about.
Also another enjoyed and if I may say so myself the lists the author adds in... for example: 10ways to kill yourself or 10 best songs to commit suicide to, which I would say some of the ways to kill yourself were quite humourous.

The Characters:
I can't really go into full depth on the characters because I have slightly forgotton.
The main character Owen almost perfectly portrays someone in his posion, and is a very believable character.

Recommendation
I would recommend this book to mainly males... to me it seems more like a book aimed to the male audience.

This being Albert Borris's first debet novel, I will say it was pretty good, but in my eyes it only is worth...

3/5

No comments:

Post a Comment