Thursday 24 March 2011

Book Review: The Goddess Test by Aimee Carter

THIS IS AN ARC REVIEW!!! THIS REVIEW WILL BE ONCE AGAIN POSTED ON THE DAY OF THE RELEASE...19TH APRIL 2011!!!

Title: The Goddess Test
Series: Goddess Test #1
Author: Aimee Carter
Publisher: Harlequin Teens
Publication Date: 19th April 2011
Pages: 293
Special Features:
ISBN: 9780373210268

Every girl who has taken the test has died.
Now it's Kate's turn.

It's always been just Kate and her mom--and now her mother is dying. Her last wish? To move back to her childhood home. So Kate's going to start at a new school with no friends, no other family and the fear her mother won't live past the fall.
Then she meets Henry. Dark. Tortured. And mesmerizing. He claims to be Hades, god of the Underworld--and if she accepts his bargain, he'll keep her mother alive while Kate tries to pass seven tests.
Kate is sure he's crazy--until she sees him bring a girl back from the dead. Now saving her mother seems crazily possible. If she succeeds, she'll become Henry's future bride, and a goddess.
If she fails…

Thoughts
Aimee Carter’s The Goddess Test is the current hype in the YA book world, which is what put me off reading the book. I requested this book on NetGallery and was fortunately accepted.

The only word I can and ever will be able to refer to this book as is…. WOW!!

Aimee Carter gives a unique and romantic spin onto Greek Mythology, a subject loved by many including me.
I was hooked to the book instantly and read it whenever possible, even in the middle of class if I could get away with it. I’m already having withdrawal symptoms.

What I loved about the book was that it didn’t just stick to the theme of Greek Mythology, but hit a number of  important issues, the main being mother and daughter relationships. For a number of years protagonist Kate Winter’s has been the main caregiver for her mum, since she was diagnosed with a sever form of cancer. The story begins as Kate drives her mother to her hometown Eden, Michigan in the hope that her mother will die in a place she loves, and straight away the heart wrenching emotion begins and I found myself almost instantly in tears for the two. From this point I knew it was going to be a pretty amazing book.

As the book goes on we are open to many more mysteries which conclude with some of the most un-expected outcomes, and I slightly began to despise the book for tricking me numerous amounts of times, playing with my mind almost. But it was this which made the book so amazing and loveable.

We as the reader are also introduced to an assortment of loveable characters:
Kate Winter’s, is a realistic protagonist, who is willing to fight for what she believes in, but also protects the one’s she loves. I saw parts of myself within Kate, and im sure this was the same for many other readers, she is most definitely a character I will never forget.
Another pretty awesome character is male protagonist Henry, who is portrayed as Greek God, Hades, God of the Underworld, and well to be honest it was the young and attractiveness of Henry that made it take me ages to realise the book was focused on the Gods. Henry is a character I could feel myself falling head over heals for, he’s sweet, sensitive and caring, almost the complete opposite to what you would expected Hades to be.
I would also mention other character’s but I know I would give the plot line away.

The book for me was too short, I could only wish it was longer and I hated myself as I slowly came to the end knowing I would have to wait almost a year for the second book in the series to come out.

This book has brought me back into my fasination for Greek Mythology and was instant searching through sites almost as soon as I ended the book.

All I can say to all you readers out there, this book is great, amazing and fascinating. Don’t let the Greek God theme put you off reading it, its still a romance to me.

I obviously give this book...





1 comment:

  1. Great review! I loved this book. I especially loved how the Gods were portrayed b/c it is so different then how other books and movies show them as.

    New follower :)

    Kristina
    http://ladybugstorytime.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete